This site is dedicated to the love of patterns from the past. I enjoy the styles, history, artwork and unique fashion.

Saturday 23 March 2013

Lost ?? Missing ? Incomplete .........???

 
What do you do with those patterns you find that are not complete?
I don't have the heart to throw them out and so are beginning to stockpile in my sewing room.
I feel, with their age, being no longer in print and historical artwork, it would be shame to throw them out.
 
Sometimes it can be a matter of only instructions missing - I could search for the instructions.
Sometimes, it can be part of the pattern can be made eg: the blouse, not the skirt.
Im sure some people could make the garment due to their excellent seamstessing experience, just because one piece is missng.
 
I could make the envelope into some sort of display or artwork.
 
What do you do with your incomplete patterns?
 


5 comments:

  1. Hmmm not sure, but I'm with you - I definitely wouldn't throw them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, until I know what the best thing to do is, I will keep them.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a shame it would be to throw them out. I know from experience.

    Years ago while in a cleaning frenzy, I discarded my grandmother's old patterns. It is one of the greatest regrets I have. I know that sounds silly...but I truly do regret it. I can still make tears if I allow myself to do so!

    Beautiful patterns from various companies collected and saved by my grandmother, which produced some of the most beautiful clothing I ever wore. Yes, I wore her clothes that she made with such care, they lasted a lifetime!

    Complete heartache....oh, the clothes are no longer in my closet either. Now if this isn't depressing, I have no idea what would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, you have those beautiful memories of your Grandmother and her love of sewing, which is indeed a gift and always present in you.

      Delete
  3. Pics of the front designs could be turned into fabric via spoonflower and made into a quilt or towels..shower curtain.. Or printed for wall art.
    The patterns themselves that's harder, although i would love to know if there is a large formats scanner somewhere that could copy and preserve these patterns...you are so right out of print and languishing in conditions paper does not do well in.. Sigh. At least they have a good home with you!

    ReplyDelete