This site is dedicated to the love of patterns from the past. I enjoy the styles, history, artwork and unique fashion.

Monday 25 June 2012

I Love The Op Shop

There is an air of excitement when I walk into the local opportunity shops.
 I get a thrill out of what I just might find. Its a wonderful way to spend my lunch time when at work looking for treasure !

Here is just some of my magical finds...

This is an early pattern - pre decimal as the price is "3/6".
I am unsure as to what the maker is - Is it "Fashion cut pattern" or is it "Dewhurts SYLKO" as printed on back (see below).
No printing on actual pattern pieces. It has punched holes to indicate usage & pieces.



Simplicity 6535 - Year 1966.
Misses' one piece dress with some cute variations.

Simplicity 5915. Year 1965.
I found a newspaper cut out of the era inside, form the local area (Taree NSW).
Fascinating reading - pre decimal prices & people mentioned in the paper were formally referred to as "Mr, Mrs or Miss".




Love the Ad for these hats "Now in full swing !"

Back to school maps for projects.


Simplicity 7996. Year 1968
I love these Nehru jackets. They are described as "Meditation or Guru" Jackets.

Vogue 7137.
One piece dress - A line with side front pockets & back button closing.
So stylish !
McCalls 7337.

Summer dresses !
 Also nice for those fabrics with full pictured print.

McCalls 7775.
Two piece bathing suit, choice of back buttoned bra or high neck top.
Beach jacket with long sleeves.
So cute !
Weigel's 2411.
Is this brand Australian?
The fabric pattern looks Polynesian styled.
Makes me think of Hawaii !

Style 2541. Year 1969.
This is so adorable ! Gorgeous pleated dress with pants.
I think this is a favorite.

Op shop patterns are special. They find a new home with someone who appreciates their history and usually come from someone who loved them and has sadly passed on.

I have these and more, for sale on EBay as of 25th July 2012.



2 comments:

  1. Oh a fellow op shopper! I understand your excitement when you walk through the door. What will I find today? My focus is mainly on clothes and unusual furniture, with the occasional porcelain bowl. I've not thought of dress patterns, but should have considering one of my finds was a stunning old sewing machine in perfect working condition. Like you, I was taught by my mother. You've inspired my to look for vintage patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debs. Its a wonderful way to shop. Such a treasure hunt ! I do love the odd piece of furniture too. To rehome those previously beloveditems is a nice feeling.

      Delete